Saturday, April 09, 2005

Dare to Petition

Since my oldest child is fast approaching her 18th birthday, I've been reflecting on those first years as a new parent. I was going to be the best mother I could possibly be; and I had all the right books to guide me in that noble endeavor. I won't mention any titles because I don't want to disparage any of those gifted authors. But there was one book in particular that I was counting on to help me with any and all discipline issues that would arise with my precious, sweet child. Perhaps I even looked forward to that first event when I could assert my parental authority with all my newly gained wisdom.

I don't remember what my darling daughter did that first prompted me to apply a method suggested in my favorite parenting book. I do remember that my disciplinary method did not work. In fact, it failed miserably. I was stunned and frightened.

If the expert's advice did not work, I was lost. I certainly had no experience with this kind of thing. I was a brand new parent, I knew nothing. I was on my own. Or was I?

I had forgotten who the real expert is, the one who knows perfectly the best discipline for any situation, for any age. Yes, you know who I am talking about. And he inspired a book, too! Not only did he have a book; he was available for consultation anytime I was ready to ask for help.

I made my consultation with the Heavenly Father. I asked Him what to do about the particular situation I was concerned with. He gave me an inspiration, or an answer, whichever term suits your theology. I have consulted Him ever since then, especially when my earthly wisdom falls short of the measure. He has never failed to help me when I've petitioned Him.

Who needs books on parenting when the best parent, the Heavenly Father, is available to guide us in that worthy endeavor.

No comments: